Ice Therapy in Freeport, NY
Ice therapy is a form of cryotherapy used to treat pain. It functions by reducing blood flow to a particular area, often a joint or tendon. It temporarily numbs the nerves which in turn relieves pain. We use ice therapy for our patients at Dr. Walter E. Mendoza Chiropractor P.C.
Tools of the Trade
Ice therapy often involves one or more of the following:
- Ice packs: This involves using a simple ziplock bag, a towel, and some ice cubes
- Ice sprays: These are fast-acting and sometimes contain menthol to soothe
- Ice massage: Massaging the affected area using ice
- Cold tub or immersion: This involves taking an icy bath or soaking the affected area
Which Conditions Can You Treat Using Ice Therapy?
Ice therapy is currently being used to treat many conditions related to pain. These include:
- Soft tissue injuries such as ankle sprains, muscular sprains, and ligament sprains
- Tendinitis: a condition of inflammation or irritation in a muscle-tendon
- Acute swelling
- Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS)
- Post orthopedic surgery
- Bursitis is an inflammation of the bursa sac found in major joints such as the elbows, hips, knees, and shoulders.
- Osteoarthritis occurs when the cartilage that cushions the bones wears down.
- Rheumatoid arthritis, which causes pain all over the body
- Back pain
- Fibromyalgia is a widespread musculoskeletal pain accompanied by fatigue, sleep issues, memory issues, and mood issues.
- Neck pain
>span class="StrongEmphasis"> Ice Therapy
Ice therapy has many advantages, which include:
- Ice therapy reduces pain by slowing nerve conduction of pain messages
- It reduces swelling
- Reduces inflammation by decreasing the metabolic rate. It also stimulates temporary vasodilation and vasoconstriction of superficial blood vessels.
- Controls edema by increasing the movement of dead cell material, quickly resolving intraarticular and extraarticular swelling. This promotes the movement of extracellular fluid into the lymphatic glands.
- It is effective on a wide range of soft tissue injuries
- Can be used to complement medicines and other treatments
- A cost-effective treatment method
- Can be used as a fast and temporary relief from pain in emergencies
Get Ice Therapy in Freeport, NY
Ice therapy needs professional recommendations and application. When it is applied in the wrong way, ice therapy has the risk of causing ice burns and frostbite-like symptoms. It is essential to get advice and treatment using ice therapy from a licensed chiropractor.
Dr. Walter E. Mendoza Chiropractor P.C. is a leading health professional that combines skill and expertise to administer ice therapy to treat pain and inflammation. Call us today at 516-213-4610 to schedule a consultation.